- This event has passed.
2022 Real Estate Challenge
Saturday, April 23
Wintrust, 231 S LaSalle St, Chicago, IL
ANNOUNCING OUR 2022 WINNERS!
Undergraduate Division Winner: Marquette University
Team: Jane Eaton, George Haikal, Jenny Sims, Daniel Talar
Faculty Advisor: Michael Adetoro
Industry Mentors: Anthony Mulé, Michael Riopel, Patrik Modig
Graduate Division Winner: Roosevelt University
Team: Brett Berlin, Trace McGuire, Tatiana Nagornova, Michael Penicnak, Pamela Sanchez, Jennifer Warfield
Faculty Advisor: Jon Dennis, Andrew Savoy
Industry Mentors: Moses Hall, Trish Gordon
ABOUT THE 2022 CHALLENGE:
Our 12th Annual Challenge was held in person and matched teams from eight universities to compete in a high-profile development/redevelopment project in Chicago. Each team was assigned the same case site and provided the same essential information and assumptions about the property. The winning team(s) will receive a scholarship of up to $5,000.00!
The 2022 Challenge site was Johnny’s IceHouse East, located in the heart of Chicago’s West Loop neighborhood, and the former home of the Chicago Blackhawks’ practice rink. It’s currently a 51,500-square-foot ice arena situated on 0.5 acres of land, which will cease operation upon its sale. The site has the potential for adaptive reuse of the existing structure or ground-up development. Student teams were tasked with proposing a development plan that was economically viable and complements the unique uses surrounding the site.
This year’s competing teams were:
- Graduate Division: Ball State University, Fordham University, Roosevelt University, University of Notre Dame
- Undergraduate Division: Cornell University, Marquette University, University of Arkansas at Little Rock, University of Notre Dame
Our judges’ panel was comprised of:
- Ciere Boatright (Vice President of Real Estate & Community Development, CRG)
- Suzanne Kahle (Senior Director of Development, Farpoint Development)
- Katie Jahnke Dale (Partner & Co-Location Head, Chicago Real Estate Practice, DLA Piper)
- Erin Lavin Cabonargi (Managing Director, URBAN ReSOLVE)
- Navi Sandhu (Senior Vice President of Acquisitions, Finance & Development, Fifield Companies)
- Regina Stilp (Principal, Farpoint Development)
SPECIAL THANKS TO:
THANKS TO OUR EDUCATION SPONSOR:
WATCH THE 2022 SITE TOUR VIDEO:
ABOUT THE PROGRAM:
The Harold E. Eisenberg Foundation’s Annual Real Estate Challenge matches teams from selected universities in a competition focusing on a high-profile development/redevelopment project in the Chicago Metropolitan area. Each team is assigned the same case site and provided the same essential information and/or assumptions about the property. The students’ development plan must constitute a comprehensive analysis and conclusion of how to maximize the potential of the property from both a quantitative (financial) and qualitative (feasibility) standpoint.
SUPPORT THE CHALLENGE:
Donate to fund the educational endeavors of the Harold E. Eisenberg Foundation, like our Real Estate Challenge, and help open doors and close the opportunity gap for the next generation of industry leaders.
SPECIAL THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS:
The Harold E. Eisenberg Foundation would like to extend a special thank you to this year’s real estate education supporters.
We appreciate your ongoing support!